Home Photography Writing About

24.6.10

Stephenie Meyer and Twilight

It seems to be one of the topics of pop culture. Either you hate the Twilight Saga or love it. Typically I don't read books that have a crazy amount of hype, but I read Twilight long before there was hype. She's a wonderful writer, I get completely lost in her books. It's just the topics that are controversial. Is Bella too dependent on the overpowering Edward? I'm much more in love with her Host book. The topic doesn't bug me quite so much as the unbelievable, fantasy relationship of Edward and Bella.


Now Stephenie Meyer has a novella about the newborn vampire from Eclipse, Bree. She's letting her fans read it for free until July 5th (just click the book cover to get to breetanner.com). I'll post a review on it later. I really enjoyed it. It's always pretty fun to think about the other characters in a book, and here Stephenie Meyer took a very small character in the Eclipse book and hashed out her story.

So tell me, do you love it or hate it? Or are you the person I haven't heard about yet that is neutral on the topic?

6 comments:

Christine Danek said...

I think you know my take. :)

Lori P said...

Oh thanks for the link! My daughter read the series then coaxed me into reading. It was enjoyable - an easy read. I'll click on the link.

Andrea Krummel said...

i didn't know anything about twilight except seeing the pretty covers at the bookstore and that my sister couldn't wait to get the last book. then the movie came out and all hell broke lose. i seriously had nothing else to do one saturday night so i went by myself to see if it was really as cheesy as i thought it would be. and it wasn't; i loved it! i hate admitting it because, like you, i hate when things have hype. i'm not a jacob- or edward-obsessed tween, but i still really really loved the science fiction, romantic aspect. i think it's a very beautiful story, dark and easily written. i read the first book after seeing the movie, couldn't put it down and then proceeded to reading the rest of them. i'm excited about the rest of the movies being made, but i still don't think they compare to the books. so much thought and detail is put into the books that you never catch onscreen, as is with most movies.

so yeah. i'm one of those people :)

Hanna C. Howard said...

Honestly, I've never wanted to like Twilight... but I really, really do. I've re-read the first book at least *squirm and cringe* four times.

And I think it's the hype that makes them such a topic for debate, anyway. If it were not for the pop-culture obsessive phenomenon, I doubt anyone would criticize the books at all. They would merely be known as "those clever, extremely engaging vampire books."

And besides: anything that can get oodles and oodles of teenagers reading has to be doing something right. My vote is in favor.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I read the Twilight series to see what all the hype was about, never saw the movies. I don't love them or hate them. I liked the first one the best. The rest? meh.

Unknown said...

I haven't read it yet but it would be stupid if I didn't since it's free until the 5th!! I really need to make time to read it! Thanks for the link!