Home Photography Writing About

4.8.10

Getting to Know You and My WiPs

First a question for all you readers. I'm going to host an internet meme, which is basically where I blog something, you all blog the same type of thing, and then you put your links on here so we can all share. I'll be doing it weekly for the next while, I don't know how long it will last. It will involve getting to know each other through saying things about ourselves pertaining to a particular topic. (Like what kind of pets have you owned?)

The question is...should it be 'Three Things Thursdays' or 'Five Things Fridays'? My dilemma is that three things are easier to come up with, but most people don't blog on Thursdays. (And I'm stuck on the alliteration so that can't change.) So state your opinion, and if that includes a different alliterative idea, go for it!

Ok, onto my works in progress. I've had this bar to the right ------> for a while now. It indicates that I'm 107% finished. I'm pretty proud of that. I told myself I would write five short stories in two months, and I did. And you know what? With each one I got better.

I really enjoy writing short stories. Because they are so small they give me a sense of accomplishment while I'm in the middle of writing a novel. Otherwise I feel bogged down by the fact that I'll never, ever finish. So I pull an idea out of my insanely busy head and type it up. A lot of my short stories come from inspiration around me. Like people I see on the train or in a coffee shop. They are always character driven. And they tend to run just one or two pages long.

Now I need to take this pile of short stories I have, really fix a few up, and start submitting to magazines. Anybody have any advice on that?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never submitted a short story, or even written one so I wish you the best of luck in your journey to getting some published!!!

I think I prefer Five Things Friday, only because a lot of the laid back posts happen on Fridays. I would do Three Things Thursday though as well, it's already Truth Thursdays so not much would change!

Hanna C. Howard said...

I'd do Thursday or Friday. I'm not opposed to either day.

And as for magazines, my very first rejections EVER all came from literary magazines. And they were form-rejections. Which told me these editors were just as swamped as agents and book editors. The stories I eventually published went to smaller online magazines, and ended up fitting their criteria perfectly. So, my advice would be to do research and find magazines that fit your stories really well. Then, just like with a novel, edit-edit-edit-submit!

(Can I read a some of them? *grins*)

Unknown said...

That is a great idea that you have!
Last time I wrote a story I was 10... Good luck with that. I would love to read it.

xoxo
G.

Lilah Pierce said...

What about Triple Threat Tuesday? Also, I will blog on day I feel like, so Thursdays are fine with me! :) I think this would be a great meme, bc no matter what genre a person writes, they can participate, and it won't take that much time. :) Let me know what the verdict is, I'll try to participate. (Love the look of the site by the way!)