Home Photography Writing About

9.4.10

Make an Old Table Like New

I found an older table through a yard sale website. It was solid oak, and actually quite beautiful. But the spot it was meant for is decorated in white, black, and red. So I painted it. I really wish I had like five of these so I could do different things to it. I wanted for a while to make this my desk, but it's so beautiful I have to leave it out where people can see it. Here is my process...

 The original table and the first coat of Alt Weiss, Old White. I considered stopping after one coat with the wood showing through, and again I wish I had another table just like it. But I stuck with my original idea and kept painting.

 
The second and third coats. On the third coat I went the opposite direction I had been going, just to get everything truly covered.

 
The fourth coat finished it off. I used part of a stencil to paint a design in one corner in red. I still can't decide if simple is better or if I should paint more red. What do you think?


9 comments:

Christine Danek said...

Nice work! I like it.

Andrea Krummel said...

you did a great job! in my opinion, i would go with more of those red swirly designs on the top! it would be much more interesting to look at, and be more of a "wow" factor!

by the way, i want that spiral staircase really badly...

Cora Kemp said...

OO! I Love it. You know I really cant decide about the red. I like Andrea's thought, it would be more of a wow factor, but it is so striking with just that one design. If you do more, I would not go overboard on the red. Pretty though! I love the table!

Laura Evans said...

stunning chica ... i wish i could find pieces like that! excited for the flea markets this summer.

lisa and laura said...

I LOVE that table. This makes me wish I was crafty.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of making more swirlys
mom

Michele said...

Lovely table, I like to make things that are old into something new!!!

betz said...

I like!!!! Trying to not covet your cute table and AWESOME spiral staircase!!

Amie McCracken said...

You know, you all say you want my staircase. But let me warn you...don't wear socks on it. I've fallen way too many times to count, and I'm worried what will happen when my niece comes to visit. Might have to keep her off it.

(It is awesome otherwise!)