Home Photography Writing About

24.2.10

Déjà vu

I feel the way I did when I graduated college: completely lost. At that time I was looking for a job because I had gotten married the day after my graduation, and my husband was still in school. My parents were lovely and let us live in their mother-in-law suite. But every job I found was either not in Colorado or required experience. I got to a point where I was going to start my own proofreading business, but that didn't bring in enough money. I ended up working for my dad as a veterinary technician. Not exactly the kind of experience an English major needs. But it was a very good job and I loved it.

Now we've moved to Germany and I'm kind of repeating the steps over again. I don't have much to do here, and when I get bored I get depressed and cranky. I'm one of those people that has to be constantly doing something. Hence, I had three other jobs to supplement the full-time one with my dad.

I have a lot I would like to do. I would love to work for a publishing company and edit novels. I would love to continue building the wedding photography business with my friend back in Colorado. I would love to make my etsy shop work and be a creator. But I can't edit in German, my friend is in Colorado not Germany, and the shipping and overhead costs from Germany are insane! Am I making excuses? Let me remedy that.

I have reopened the idea of being a freelance proofreader. Any etsians out there that want your blog posts proofed before they go live? Or do you have a newsletter you want an experienced editor to glance over? I can do that.

I'm also going to make some fliers and hang them up on the bases and in English stores around Stuttgart to see if anyone wants a portrait photographer. I've found that shooting people is really what I love to do. Engagements, families, actors and musicians, really I'll take anybody.

The etsy store is not completely lost, I'm still researching possibilities. Hang in there with me while I work on it.

7 comments:

Laura Evans said...

chica i can completely relate ... i went from being to me to getting married & becoming a military wife & moving to germany & all of a sudden i was no longer me. & even then it took me a while to figure out what was missing & my husbands deployment to spend some time figuring it all out. & still i'm not quite there & as for my photography it's been slow & frustrating but you will get there. Germany makes many things harder but you can fight. I did & now i'm back on track.

Elana Johnson said...

I feel this. Sometimes I'm not lost and I feel lost. I have no doubt you'll find what you're looking for. :)

Penny said...

Young teenagers might be interested in practising English conversation with you. They learn English very early on, but conversational English can be an art.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful thoughts your friends have given you. If you need to vent you know who to skype!!!
mom

Cora Kemp said...

I know I"m not that close but I"ll always be there to make you smile! And you are going to be great. Just don't get discouraged, and by the time you get back I"ll have our business all established and we'll have clients every weekend! Its better that you don't have to deal with all the "getting out there" parts :)

Love you and miss you and just remember I"m always here for ya! Just get Albee on that teleport device ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Amie, thanks for visiting my blog. So glad you stopped by! This post is quite beautiful in its honesty. I know you speak a lot about editing, but have you thought about writing?

Lindsey :)

Amie McCracken said...

Thank you everybody for your sweet, sweet thoughts. I will keep plugging away.